Tuesday, April 19, 2005

This Explains A Lot

I've been e-mailing back and forth with Karl Noyes, trying to get him to explain his recent column regarding the Secret Service. In a recent e-mail, rather than answering some questions I had posed to him, he asked me, "Do you support what is being done in Guantanamo and Iraq with prisoners?" I asked why it was relevant, and this is the answer I got:

"Hello Mr. Finke,

Your support of Guantanamo or the Iraq prisoner policy has a lot to do with whether or not you are rational human being.

I support that people have the rights to have boycotts. People can boycott all they want, the point is that government policies are fostering unjust boycotts. Sure people can boycott and protest, but I think it is pretty sad when that is used as an excuse not to debate the issue. I think it is a travesty that the exhibit promoters in these cases gave in to them. I don't care who is suppressing art, I don't support that suppression.

As to the rest of your points, I feel they degrade the value of this argument and are not worth even addressing.

thank you,

Karl Noyes"

His response pretty much speaks for itself: "If you don't agree with me, you are irrational. If I don't agree with a boycott, it is unjust, and the government should end it. If I don't agree with your argument, it is degrading."

I may post the full text of our e-mail debate later, but given that Noyes is the Daily Editorial Board's senior member, this kind of fingers-in-ears, "la la la I can't hear you" attitude explains a lot about how the Board functions.